The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) requires families to participate in six hours of education and training prior to issuing a Foster Family Home License (FFHL) and a total of 16 hours for each licensed parent over the four-year duration of the license. ACI requires new participants in our Traditional Adoption Program to attend a structured curriculum of ACI courses, offered several times a year, which examine critical issues in domestic adoption.
Click on the links for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
- Domestic Infant Adoption – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
- Waiting Child Services Program – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
Training for International Adoptions – Regulations for adoptive parent training respective to the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000, requires a minimum of 10 hours of training before a family can have any contact with the child. Families shall not travel to the child’s country of origin to “view” or “select” a child until they have completed 10 hours of training (12 hours of training for prospective adoptive parents pursuing an adoption from China).
Click on the link for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
Note to all individuals planning on attending ACI classes.
You must pre-register to attend any class. We are asking you to do this for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: inclement weather, low enrollment, or difficulties that the instructor may have. Therefore, please provide detailed contact information so that we may notify you if a class is cancelled. If you do not register and you show up at a class that is cancelled, we will regret not having been able to inform you and cannot be held responsible.
All seminars are open to the public and pre-registration is required.
Register below or by calling (773) 334-2300.
If you are not a current ACI family or Alum, please call the accounting office at (773) 321-0305 to pay with credit card.
Fees: $30 per person per workshop; non-refundable.
This fee does not apply to families that have applied to ACI or to ACI Alumni.
Unless otherwise noted, baby-sitting is not available as programs are not appropriate for children. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with this matter.
- CLASS IS CURRENTLY FULL – Baby Care 101 - Sunday, January 13, 2019, 2:00 to 4:00pm Baby Care 101 Join Becky O’Connell, one of our temporary care providers, and learn the “baby basics”. She will discuss “The Big Three” (you’ll learn what they are!) and include suggestions and demonstrations to help you understand, enjoy, soothe and stimulate your baby. This class is suitable for waiting families, those with infants ...
- Adult Adoptee Panel: Adoptees Share Their Experiences - Sunday, January 27, 2019, 1:30pm to 3:30pm What does adoption look like through the lens of someone who was adopted? How does someone who was adopted suggest talking to children about adoption? This class is conducted with a panel of adults who were adopted as children. The panelists discuss their lives, the history of their memories about adoption; when they ...
- Domestic Adoption and Illinois Law - Thursday, February 7, 2019, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM Domestic Adoption and Illinois Law Attorney Genie Miller Gillespie will discuss the steps that prospective adoptive parents should take to achieve a safe and legal adoption. Discussion will focus on the legal issues in adoption, which include proper preparation, termination of parental rights, limiting legal risk, applicable Illinois and federal law, ...
- Circle of Security - Circle of Security Program! Saturdays: February 23, March 2, March 23, and March 30. At times all parents feel lost or without a clue about what their children might need from them. Imagine what it might feel like if you were able to make sense of what your child was really asking from you. Circle of Security is a relation-based ...
- Race and Adoption: A Panel Discussion - Sunday, February 24, 2019, 1:30pm to 3:30pm Race and Adoption: A Panel Discussion Many Caucasian families either have adopted a child or are considering adopting a child who is some part African-American. When taking into account the role of race in our society this invariably raises questions and concerns. Many adoptive families begin this journey without the benefit of having ...
- A Birth Parent Panel – Adoption from Birth Parent’s Perspective - Saturday, March 16, 2019, 2:00 to 4:00 PM A Birth Parent Panel - Adoption from Birth Parent's Perspective This is a moderated panel discussion. The panel is comprised of birth parents that have placed children for adoption. Panelists will discuss their personal experience with adoption and address topics that they consider important and that are raised by the moderator. Audience ...
- Empowered to Connect Conference - Two Day Conference: Friday, April 5th from 9:00am-5:00pm and Saturday, April 6th from 9:00am-5:00pm at ACI (or another Chicago location if a larger capacity is needed). Empowered to Connect Conference Presented by Show Hope* and the Karyn Purvis Institute of Child Development Simulcast Hosted by Adoption Center of Illinois at Family Resource Center The Empowered to Connect Conference features two days of ...