The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) requires families to participate in 6 hours of education and training prior to issuing a Foster Family Home License (FFHL) and a total of 16 hours for each licensed parent over the four-year duration of the license. ACI requires new participants in our Traditional Adoption Program to attend a structured curriculum of ACI courses, offered several times a year, which examine critical issues in domestic adoption.
Click on the links for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
- Domestic Infant Adoption – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
- Waiting Child Services Program – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
Training for International Adoptions – Regulations for adoptive parent training respective to the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000, requires a minimum of 10 hours of training before a family can have any contact with the child. Families shall not travel to the child’s country of origin to “view” or “select” a child until they have completed 10 hours of training (12 hours of training for prospective adoptive parents pursuing an adoption from China).
Click on the link for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
Note to all individuals planning on attending ACI classes.
You must pre-register to attend any class. We are asking you to do this for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: inclement weather, low enrollment, or difficulties that the instructor may have. Therefore, please provide detailed contact information so that we may notify you if a class is cancelled. If you do not register and you show up at a class that is cancelled, we will regret not having been able to inform you and cannot be held responsible.
All seminars are open to the public and pre-registration is required.
Register below or by calling (773) 334-2300.
If you are not a current ACI family or Alum, please call the accounting office at (773) 321-0305 to pay with credit card.
Fees: $30 per person per workshop; non-refundable.
This fee does not apply to families that have applied to ACI or to ACI Alumni.
Unless otherwise noted, baby-sitting is not available as programs are not appropriate for children. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with this matter.
- Understanding Grief and Loss - Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Understanding Grief and Loss Adoption is said to begin with loss and frequently some degree of associated grief. The literature suggests that the experience of adoption brings with it amplified and recurring expression of grief and loss throughout people’s lives. What is grief and loss? How is it expressed by children?… ...
- African-American Hair & Skin Care-Workshop #1 - Saturday, December 14, 2019, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM African-American Hair & Skin Care-Workshop #1 Join Tamekia Swint, Executive Director of Styles 4 Kidz, for an introductory course to African-American hair. They will discuss why hair is a big deal, basic hair care, and how to differentiate the different types and textures of black hair for easier management. All questions… ...
- Baby Care 101 - Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Baby Care 101 Join Becky O’Connell, one of our temporary care providers, and learn the “baby basics”. She will discuss “The Big Three” (you’ll learn what they are!) and include suggestions and demonstrations to help you understand, enjoy, soothe and stimulate your baby. This class is suitable for waiting families, those… ...
- Parenting Children Who Have Experienced Trauma - Sunday, January 26, 2020, 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM Parenting Children Who Have Experienced Trauma Trauma is an important topic for adoptive parents and prospective adoptive parents because many children who have been adopted, especially those adopted at an older age or from foster homes/orphanages, have lived through traumatic experiences. Children bring these traumas with them when they come into… ...
- Domestic Adoption and Illinois Law - Thursday, February 6, 2020, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM Domestic Adoption and Illinois Law Attorney Genie Miller Gillespie will discuss the steps that prospective adoptive parents should take to achieve a safe and legal adoption. Discussion will focus on the legal issues in adoption, which include proper preparation, termination of parental rights, limiting legal risk, applicable Illinois and federal law,… ...
- Tips for the Toddler Years - Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Tips for the Toddler Years Becky O'Connell, one of ACI's temporary care providers and a former preschool teacher, believes that "The Terrible Twos" is a myth. She'll tell you why and share methods for dealing with your child's emerging independence. In this practical class, you'll revisit "The Big Three" and discuss… ...