The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) requires families to participate in 6 hours of education and training prior to issuing a Foster Family Home License (FFHL) and a total of 16 hours for each licensed parent over the four-year duration of the license. ACI requires new participants in our Traditional Adoption Program to attend a structured curriculum of ACI courses, offered several times a year, which examine critical issues in domestic adoption.
Click on the links for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
- Domestic Infant Adoption – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
- Waiting Child Services Program – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
Training for International Adoptions – Regulations for adoptive parent training respective to the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000, requires a minimum of 10 hours of training before a family can have any contact with the child. Families shall not travel to the child’s country of origin to “view” or “select” a child until they have completed 10 hours of training (12 hours of training for prospective adoptive parents pursuing an adoption from China).
Click on the link for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
Note to all individuals planning on attending ACI classes.
You must pre-register to attend any class. We are asking you to do this for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: inclement weather, low enrollment, or difficulties that the instructor may have. Therefore, please provide detailed contact information so that we may notify you if a class is cancelled. If you do not register and you show up at a class that is cancelled, we will regret not having been able to inform you and cannot be held responsible.
All seminars are open to the public and pre-registration is required.
Register below or by calling (773) 334-2300.
If you are not a current ACI family or Alum, please call the accounting office at (773) 321-0305 to pay with credit card.
Fees: $30 per person per workshop; non-refundable.
This fee does not apply to families that have applied to ACI or to ACI Alumni.
Unless otherwise noted, baby-sitting is not available as programs are not appropriate for children. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with this matter.
- Race and Adoption: A Panel Discussion - Sunday, July 28, 2019, 1:30pm to 3:30pm Race and Adoption: A Panel Discussion Many Caucasian families either have adopted a child or are considering adopting a child who is some part African-American. When taking into account the role of race in our society this invariably raises questions and concerns. Many adoptive families begin this journey without the benefit of having… ...
- African-American Hair Care Workshop #2 - Saturday, August 3, 2019, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM African-American Hair Care Workshop #2 Hands on session on how to care for black hair with demonstration and practice session of different hair styles. 20 minute presentation, 10-15 minute discussion of clips from Good Hair, and 1.5 hour hands-on demonstration/practice session for boys and girls. Models will be provided for those… ...
- Prenatal Drug and Alcohol Exposure: What Prospective Parents Need to Know - Thursday, August 15, 2019, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM Prenatal Drug and Alcohol Exposure: What Prospective Parents Need to Know Some children who are placed for adoption were prenatally exposed to drugs and/or alcohol. While this may alarm prospective parents, increased awareness can be helpful. This class will teach prospective parents about the effects of prenatal drug and alcohol exposure,… ...
- A Birth Parent Panel – Adoption from Birth Parent’s Perspective - Saturday, August 24, 2019, 2:00 to 4:00 PM A Birth Parent Panel - Adoption from Birth Parent's Perspective This is a moderated panel discussion. The panel is comprised of birth parents that have placed children for adoption. Panelists will discuss their personal experience with adoption and address topics that they consider important and that are raised by the moderator. Audience… ...
- Parenting in SPACE - Friday, September 13, 2019, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, with a 1 hour lunch break Parenting in SPACE Training Session presented by Billy Kaplan We are all perfect parents who employ just the right approach for connecting with our children. Except when we don’t. Or when our best just can’t reach them because their experiences of trauma in early childhood make… ...
- Baby Care 101 - Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 7:00 to 9:00 PM Baby Care 101 Join Becky O’Connell, one of our temporary care providers, and learn the “baby basics”. She will discuss “The Big Three” (you’ll learn what they are!) and include suggestions and demonstrations to help you understand, enjoy, soothe and stimulate your baby. This class is suitable for waiting families, those with… ...