The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) requires families to participate in six hours of education and training prior to issuing a Foster Family Home License (FFHL) and a total of 16 hours for each licensed parent over the four-year duration of the license. ACI requires new participants in our Traditional Adoption Program to attend a structured curriculum of ACI courses, offered several times a year, which examine critical issues in domestic adoption.
Click on the links for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
- Domestic Infant Adoption – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
- Waiting Child Services Program – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
Training for International Adoptions – Regulations for adoptive parent training respective to the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000, requires a minimum of 10 hours of training before a family can have any contact with the child. Families shall not travel to the child’s country of origin to “view” or “select” a child until they have completed 10 hours of training (12 hours of training for prospective adoptive parents pursuing an adoption from China).
Click on the link for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
Note to all individuals planning on attending ACI classes.
You must pre-register to attend any class. We are asking you to do this for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: inclement weather, low enrollment, or difficulties that the instructor may have. Therefore, please provide detailed contact information so that we may notify you if a class is cancelled. If you do not register and you show up at a class that is cancelled, we will regret not having been able to inform you and cannot be held responsible.
All seminars are open to the public and pre-registration is required.
Register below or by calling (773) 334-2300.
If you are not a current ACI family or Alum, please call the accounting office at (773) 321-0305 to pay with credit card.
Fees: $30 per person per workshop; non-refundable.
This fee does not apply to families that have applied to ACI or to ACI Alumni.
Unless otherwise noted, baby-sitting is not available as programs are not appropriate for children. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with this matter.
- Understanding Grief and Loss - Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 7:00 to 9:00pm Understanding Grief and Loss Adoption is said to begin with loss and frequently some degree of associated grief. The literature suggests that the experience of adoption brings with it amplified and recurring expression of grief and loss throughout people’s lives. What is grief and loss? How is it expressed by children? How does ...
- A Birth Parent Panel – Adoption from Birth Parent’s Perspective - Saturday, June 16, 2018, 2:00pm to 4:00pm A Birth Parent Panel - Adoption from Birth Parent's Perspective This is a moderated panel discussion. The panel is comprised of birth parents that have placed children for adoption. Panelists will discuss their personal experience with adoption and address topics that they consider important and that are raised by the moderator. Audience members ...
- Attachment and Adoption - Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 6:30pm to 8:30pm Recent research in neuroscience has confirmed what many clinicians have long known: Early relationships between caregivers and infants/young children matter and have lifelong implications for children. In order to help each child reach their potential, supportive and caring relationships are essential. This lecture will address the process of creating lasting attachments with adoptive ...
- Domestic Adoption and Illinois Law - Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 6:30pm to 8:00pm Domestic Adoption and Illinois Law Attorney Genie Miller Gillespie will discuss the steps that prospective adoptive parents should take to achieve a safe and legal adoption. Discussion will focus on the legal issues in adoption, which include proper preparation, termination of parental rights, limiting legal risk, applicable Illinois and federal law, the process ...
- Race and Adoption: A Panel Discussion - Sunday, July 22, 2018, 1:30pm to 3:30pm Race and Adoption: A Panel Discussion Many Caucasian families either have adopted a child or are considering adopting a child who is some part African-American. When taking into account the role of race in our society this invariably raises questions and concerns. Many adoptive families begin this journey without the benefit of having ...
- Tips for the Toddler Years - Thursday, July 26, 2018, 7:00 to 9:00pm Tips for the Toddler Years Becky O'Connell, one of ACI's temporary care providers and a former preschool teacher, believes that "The Terrible Twos" is a myth. She'll tell you why and share methods for dealing with your child's emerging independence. In this practical class, you'll revisit "The Big Three" and discuss topics suggested ...