The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) requires families to participate in 6 hours of education and training prior to issuing a Foster Family Home License (FFHL) and a total of 16 hours for each licensed parent over the four-year duration of the license. ACI requires new participants in our Traditional Adoption Program to attend a structured curriculum of ACI courses, offered several times a year, which examine critical issues in domestic adoption.
Click on the links for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
- Domestic Infant Adoption – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
- Waiting Child Services Program – Adoptive Parent Training Requirements
Training for International Adoptions – Regulations for adoptive parent training respective to the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000, requires a minimum of 10 hours of training before a family can have any contact with the child. Families shall not travel to the child’s country of origin to “view” or “select” a child until they have completed 10 hours of training (12 hours of training for prospective adoptive parents pursuing an adoption from China).
Click on the link for information on ACI’s adoptive parent training requirements.
Note to all individuals planning on attending ACI classes.
You must pre-register to attend any class. We are asking you to do this for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: inclement weather, low enrollment, or difficulties that the instructor may have. Therefore, please provide detailed contact information so that we may notify you if a class is cancelled. If you do not register and you show up at a class that is cancelled, we will regret not having been able to inform you and cannot be held responsible.
All seminars are open to the public and pre-registration is required.
Register below or by calling (773) 334-2300.
If you are not a current ACI family or Alum, please call the accounting office at (773) 321-0305 to pay with credit card.
Fees: $30 per person per workshop; non-refundable.
This fee does not apply to families that have applied to ACI or to ACI Alumni.
Unless otherwise noted, baby-sitting is not available as programs are not appropriate for children. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with this matter.
- Parenting Children Who Have Experienced Trauma - Sunday, January 26, 2020, 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM Parenting Children Who Have Experienced Trauma Trauma is an important topic for adoptive parents and prospective adoptive parents because many children who have been adopted, especially those adopted at an older age or from foster homes/orphanages, have lived through traumatic experiences. Children bring these traumas with them when they come into… ...
- Domestic Adoption and Illinois Law - Thursday, February 6, 2020, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM Domestic Adoption and Illinois Law Attorney Genie Miller Gillespie will discuss the steps that prospective adoptive parents should take to achieve a safe and legal adoption. Discussion will focus on the legal issues in adoption, which include proper preparation, termination of parental rights, limiting legal risk, applicable Illinois and federal law,… ...
- Prenatal Drug and Alcohol Exposure: What Prospective Parents Need to Know - Thursday, February 20, 2020, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM Prenatal Drug and Alcohol Exposure: What Prospective Parents Need to Know Some children who are placed for adoption were prenatally exposed to drugs and/or alcohol. While this may alarm prospective parents, increased awareness can be helpful. This class will teach prospective parents about the effects of prenatal drug and alcohol exposure,… ...
- African-American Hair Care: S4K Hands-On Hair Care Workshop #1 - Saturday, February 22, 2020, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM S4K Hands-On Hair Care Workshop #1 ● Step-by-step, hands-on instruction on how to do up to three simple hairstyles; ponytails, twists, basic underhand braiding; plus question & answer with S4K stylist ● Includes a hair care bundle for each parent-child pair ● Parents attend with their child. Child’s hair should be… ...
- Adoption In School - Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Adoption in School From daycare to high school, families should think about how they can advocate for adoption sensitivity in the school setting. This presentation will address topics including positive adoption language, adoption-sensitive curriculum, and multicultural awareness in schools. We will also discuss adoption-related books and helpful resources. ...
- Tips for the Toddler Years - Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Tips for the Toddler Years Becky O'Connell, one of ACI's temporary care providers and a former preschool teacher, believes that "The Terrible Twos" is a myth. She'll tell you why and share methods for dealing with your child's emerging independence. In this practical class, you'll revisit "The Big Three" and discuss… ...
- Understanding Trauma: How Hard Experiences Can Affect Children, and Why it Matters for You - Monday, March 30, 2020, 6:30 to 8:30 PM Understanding Trauma: How Hard Experiences Can Affect Children, and Why it Matters for You Children who are placed for adoption have lived through hard experiences, from separation from their birth parents to neglect, abuse, and other forms of trauma. As you prepare to adopt a child, it is important for you to… ...