Placing a Child
- Can I choose the adoptive family? Can I meet them? Can I stay in touch with my child after placement? What if I don't want to?ACI will help you to create your own adoption plan. There is no right or wrong way. It is up to you to decide how much contact you want to have with the adoptive parents and with your child now and in the future.
- Do you provide financial support to birthparents?ACI will help you to create your own adoption plan. There is no right or wrong way. It is up to you to decide how much contact you want to have with the adoptive parents and with your child now and in the future.
- Can my baby go directly to the adoptive parents from the hospital?Yes, if that is what you request and the adoptive parents agree
- Do I have to sign any type of loan agreement or statement of obligation if I receive financial support from ACI? Can I have my financial support agreement in writing?We will NOT ask you to sign any type of loan agreement. Whatever support a birthparent receives from ACI is provided without obligation. On the other hand, any support that ACI promises you will be put in writing.
- What happens if I change my mind and want to parent my child?We will support you in choosing what you think is best for you and your child. Birth parents have every right to change their mind about adoption, and can do so at any time up until they sign the “Final and Irrevocable Surrender for Adoption,” which can occur anytime after the child is 72 hours old.
- What will happen if my child is born with a serious illness or is disabled in any way?At ACI we have never abandoned a child in need. If the adoptive family that you have selected is unable to move forward, we will continue to work with you and help you find another loving and appropriate family for your child.
- When can I talk with an adoption counselor?Our adoption counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 773- 334-2300 or toll free at 800- 676-2229.
- What kinds of counseling services are available before and after placement?At ACI we have a team of compassionate experienced counselors available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They will help you at every step of the process: from making the decision to parent or place your child, , choosing the adoptive parents, even being with you at the hospital when you give birth if you wish. You can continue to work with a counselor for as long as you choose after placement, until you feel ready and able to move on. Your conversations with an ACI counselor are always confidential.
- Are you a not-for profit company? Are you licensed? May I have a copy of your license and tax-exempt letter?Yes, Adoption Center of Illinois at Family Resource Center is a not-for-profit charitable organization. We are licensed by the state of Illinois, and of course you may have a copy of our license and tax-exempt letter. We do receive donations and fees from adoptive families, but we do not make a profit from placing children for adoption.